Your Family’s Heart Health is Important!
Along with exercise, having a heart-healthy diet can help you fight off heart disease.
TIPS FOR HEART HEALTH:
- Look for foods with the lowest amounts of sodium, added sugars, saturated fat and trans fat, and no partially hydrogenated oils.
- Watch your calories, and burn off the extras with exercise and physical activities.
- Don’t dismiss entire food groups. Your diet should be colorful — Eat a wide variety of foods, to make sure your body gets all the fuel (nutrients) it needs.
- Cook and eat at home. It is much easier to make sure your meals are as healthy as possible by preparing them at home. Plus, cooking at home will help you to teach your children heart-healthy habits now.
- Look for the Heart-Check mark to easily identify foods that can be part of an overall healthy eating pattern.
Here is one of our favorite heart-healthy meal ideas. It comes from Paige in our Medical Records Department.
What You Will Need:
- Alaskan Salmon Filets (Paige Suggest the Wild Caught Salmon as a Heart Healthy Choice)
- Olive Oil or Cooking Spray
- Garlic Butter
- Your Choice of Veggies (Paige Suggest Broccoli, Squash or Zucchini)
- Lightly coat fillets with olive oil or cooking spray
- Place salmon, skinless side up on an oiled grill that has been preheated to medium-high.
- (For Crispy skin, place the skin side on the grill first)
- Make sure to space out the fillets to make sure they cook evenly.
- Grill on each side for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from grill and let rest, while you prepare your steamed veggies.
To Steam Veggies:
- Wash, clean and cut veggies down into bite-size pieces.
- Lightly season with garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Fill a pot with 2 inches of water and heat to a boil.
- Place seasoned veggies in a steamer basket
- Place steamer basket in the pot and cover
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, veggies should be slightly tender, with a little crunch!
Serve Salmon with melted garlic butter, lemon and add your steamed veggies to the side, for this heart-healthy meal, that your family is sure to love as much as we do!
We would love for you to share your heart healthy recipes. What are your favorite heart-healthy meals or snacks?
Let us know in the comments below.
To keep up with what is going on at Wallace & Graham, or to join our community of client, follow and like us on Facebook.
For More Information and to read this and other Heart Healthy Tips, Visit the American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, at www.heart.org/healthyforgood